Group Management a React/Rails Project

My Final project for Flatiron is called Group Management.

It has a React/Redux front end and a Rails API backend.

I tend to take project ideas from real life problems and try and solve them. This one is no exception. The problem that I'm trying to solve is better membership management within a group. A group that I run is currently facing issues related to getting a new member on board, growing membership and having effective communication. This project is just the beginning of solving this problem.

The project focuses on allowing a group track a members status relatively easily. React helps with minimizing wait time from when the database updates to when it renders on the page. Redux aids in state management. I primarily used Redux for database related state. Handling anything that needed to be stored in the database. I used React's state management for anything that wasn't related to state, primarily form validation.

Rails was there to facilitate a connection with a database and maintain organization within the application.

A video walkthru can be seen here:
https://youtu.be/ASvEgQtslmg

This project took me quite a bit of time to complete. Some of the reason was that I was having trouble connecting how React worked with how it looked. The other was trying to maintain scope of the project. I could easily add more and more features to it to make it even more functional, and I intend to do that in the future. For now, I want to make sure that I satisfy all of the requirements of the project.

The easy parts: Setting up the Rails API, creating the model, view, controller architecture.
The hard parts: React and Redux. Learning react is like looking at a picture and the image, while clear doesn't make sense until you keep looking at it and then it slowly starts to make sense. That is what it felt like to work with React/Redux.

Some of the things that I want to learn how to do for additions to this project after it is turned in include:

Integration with facebook, ability to send emails and add users to emails, demographics tracking as the club that I belong to has many children and tracking their age is important;

 You can view the github repo here:
https://github.com/jmb521/group-management

Comments

Popular Posts