What do you do when you get stuck?

What do you do when you get stuck? Just like many other professions, like writing, art or other creative types, programmers get stuck too. It's like writers block but different. We can get stuck for hours, if not days on a problem. My natural tendency is to keep plowing through, hoping that my brain will somehow magically figure things out. It does....but not always when I want it to. So, I have learned, and have to keep reminding myself to take breaks. Focus on something different for a while. It's like when you are running a program on your computer and you suddenly notice in the corner it says "(not responding)". Ugh...I hate that. But I have learned that if I put my computer down for a few minutes, when I come back, everything is working again. Same thing goes for your brain. So, when you get stuck, focus on something different for a while. Do a chore, read a book, go for a walk. Allow you brain to cool off and start working again.

Comments

Popular Posts